- Tygh Capital Management, Inc. specializes in small cap and small-mid cap growth investing for institutions and mutual funds. The firm was founded in July 2004 by a team of seasoned investment professionals that all formerly worked at a large investment management firm in Portland, Oregon.
- All investment professionals at Tygh Capital have equity in the firm, which is 100% owned by its employees. Tygh Capital’s office is located at 1211 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 2100, Portland, Oregon 97204.
INVESTMENT STRATEGY OVERVIEW
- Tygh Capital, or TCM, offers two investment strategies that invest in small cap and small-mid cap growth stocks. The small cap growth strategy seeks to outperform the Russell 2000 Growth Index by investing in stocks of companies with market capitalizations generally between $300 million and $2 billion at the time of initial purchase. The small cap growth strategy is available through separately managed accounts or a mutual fund. The small-mid cap growth strategy seeks to outperform the Russell 2500 Growth Index by investing primarily in stocks of companies with market capitalizations generally between $500 million and $10 billion at the time of initial purchase. The small-mid cap growth strategy is available to institutions through separately managed accounts.
- We believe that stock prices follow earnings over the long term. The firm uses fundamental research to identify companies with superior earnings growth potential and sustainable valuations. The investment process focuses on identifying stocks with a minimum of 20% revenue and earnings growth potential for at least the next 2 years, sustainable valuations and a 20% upside to price target over a 12 month time horizon. Intensive bottom-up fundamental research drives stock selection, which we believe is most likely to generate excess returns.
- The investment process uses a team-oriented approach, where members of the team leverage the expertise of their colleagues in an environment that facilitates the exchange of ideas and insights.
THE NAME TYGH CAPITAL
The firm is named after the Tygh Valley (Tygh is pronounced like “tie”), a scenic valley located in Central Oregon near the Deschutes and White Rivers. The valley is in turn named after the Tygh tribe, a Native American tribe that was part of the broader Warm Springs band of tribes. Legend has it that this valley was used by the indigenous people to prepare for battle, much like the current professionals of Tygh Capital do every day as part of their effort seeking to provide strong relative performance in small cap growth investing.